On the Spotlight: Beverly Stowe McClure


In Beverly's own words...

"When I was in eighth grade, my teacher sent my poem “Stars” to the National High School Poetry Association, and I was soon a published author inYoung America Sings, an anthology of Texas high school poetry. Forty years later, I sent an article on fire safety to Happiness magazine, and it was published. In between, I went to high school, played clarinet in the band, was a majorette, and graduated. Then I got married to Jack and had three sons, David (an angel in heaven), Rex, and Scott. I attended college, graduated with a teaching certificate, and had a fourth son, Kelly. I taught children in elementary school for twenty-two years. Writing was the farthest thing from my mind.

"Before I knew it, my sons were grown and married. Now I have five granddaughters (one also an angel in heaven), two grandsons, two great-grandsons, and a great-granddaughter. (I married very young.)

We live in the country. Our house cat, Sugar, lets us feed her and clean up after her. Sometimes deer come to our pond to drink, and an occasional raccoon family pays a visit. A roadrunner sometimes looks in our door.Blue jays, cardinals, house finches, sparrows, field larks, red-winged blackbirds, woodpeckers, and other birds enjoy dining on the seeds I put out. Country life is great. We’re both retired, Jack from firefighting, me from teaching. We like to travel. I co-teach a women's Sunday school class. To relax, I play the piano, try to make flowers grow under the hot Texas sun with little water, and have discovered many interesting ancestors in my genealogy research.
And I write most every day.
God bless."

Check out some of Beverly's books!




Rebel in Blue Jeans
What's a girl to do when her mother runs away with the drummer in a rock band? Click here for more.










Listen to the Ghost
Jade Dalton is on a quest to discover the truth not only about her ghost but about herself, as well. The story takes place in Charleston, SC, where, according to legend many old houses have a resident ghost. Click here to read a synopsis and excerpt.






Caves, Canons, and Crinolines
The year is 1863. Vicksburg, Mississippi is under siege. This is the story of one girl and her family's day-to-day struggle to survive a changing way of life during the War Between the States.



Visit Beverly's website to learn more about her and her young adult books!

Check out her interview at Teensreadtoo or listen to her audio interview at BlogTalkRadio.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Some of the best writers don't necesarrily follow a direct career path to writing, but they fall into it anyway because it's something they enjoy. I liked reading about Beverly.
Thanks for a great Spotlight, Mayra.

And thanks, Lindsay, for your nice comment. I guess writing chose me, instead of the other way around. :)

Beverly