Music as Inspiration

If you're having trouble concentrating on your fiction writing, you may try listening to music that matches the tone and mood of your story.

One of the projects I'm working on at the moment is a YA paranormal novel set in a Catholic convent in the 1970's. As you can probably guess, I'm striving for dark and spooky.

Well, the other day I was having trouble focusing on the story, so I decided to get my earphones and write while listening to the score of The Village. I had listened to this CD a few years ago while writing another paranormal thriller. I had forgotten how effective listening to 'mood' music could be.

Immediately, I was right inside the story, talking with the characters, feeling their emotions, hiding from the nuns in the convent's dark corridors. Everything else around me disappeared.

Listen to this first piece. This is the one I start with, perfect for those scenes where the girls are talking in whispers, planning their next medium session in a desolated chamber of the convent...



I love this one for writing tense action scenes. Picture a nun in black robes running after a girl up a spiral staircase...



The complete CD is about an hour, perfect for completing my daily quota of 2-3 pages.

Next time you feel stuck or distracted, consider listening to music while you work.

Do you listen to music while you write? If yes, what type of music do you listen to?

Comments

T. Forehand said…
Music is a great inspiration when writing especially when stuck or when trying to create atmosphere. Thanks for posting.
I listen to jazz when I write. Music is a good idea.
Karen Cioffi said…
Mayra, I love music and it certainly can be inspirational.

Listening to the youtube audio I understand how it creates the right mood for you.

I can't for some reason listen to music and write.

Thanks for sharing.
Donna McDine said…
Fascinating approach. It all depends on my mood. Sometimes I need complete silence and others I need music. When writing with music on I listen to Reflections by Dyan Garris.
elysabeth said…
I write in total silence. I think it's because for my job I have headphones on all day long and have to listen to doctors' throughout the course of the day, and not having the headphones on or any other noise seems to work best for me to get the writing done. Maybe - best I can figure it out - lol. E :)

Elysabeth Eldering
Author of the Junior Geography Detective Squad, 50-state, mystery, trivia series
STATE OF WILDERNESS, now available
STATE OF QUARRIES, now available
STATE OF RESERVATIONS, coming April/May 2010
STATE OF ALTITUDE, coming May/June 2010

WHERE WILL THE ADVENTURE TAKE YOU NEXT?

http://jgdsseries.blogspot.com
http://junior-geography-detective-squad.weebly.com